30 Days of Giving Challenge
For just about every year since I started blogging I’ve participated in or led a 30 days of giving each November. I’ve been blogging since 2009 so that’s quite a long time! I love to give to others and can always do more and give more. I want to teach my children about giving. I want them to have a heart of gratitude and a giving spirit. Together my family and I are making November a month of giving and I hope you’ll join us!
Here’s how this challenge is going to go this year:
The challenge is to give something to someone everyday in November. I know what you’re thinking, “Are you off your rocker, we’re already a week into November!” It’s true! I had this challenge planned before our close friend and pastor’s wife passed away. I apologize for posting this late but I haven’t felt like being on the computer much. I hope you’ll start today but whenever you stumble upon the challenge I hope you’ll join in.
The gifts can be anything given to anyone…money, food, old clothes, crafts, your time, or even kind words. I would love to have every single one of my readers join me in this challenge. The way I see it, even if I don’t give something every single day it will probably would still be more than I normally would have given any other month…and that’s worth it, right?
Here are some of the gift ideas I’ve came up with so far:
- – donate can goods to a local food pantry
- – donate new toys in your gift drawer or closet to Toys for Tots
- – make and deliver a meal to a grieving family or a family with a sick loved one
- – donate a couple of hours of free babysitting for new parents
- – rake up the leaves in an elderly friend’s house
- – clean out your closets to donate to GoodWill or the Salvation Army or a family you know in need
- – give few more dollars in the plate at church
- – prepare a gift for those new to the neighborhood
- – send a letter and a box of non-perishable goodies to a soldier
- – have the kids make and mail cards to missionaries (or to vets)
The New Addition!
I want to combine this old challenge with a Live With Less twist! I want to suggest finding things in our homes that we no longer need or LOVE and give them to someone else. We can still make meals and cards but it’s my desire for us to also find usable things we have just laying around and donate them to those who can make good use of them. This could be giving an old piece of china to a relative who would enjoy it, passing along a favorite book to a friend, or it could be donating a bag full of items to a charity. The choice is yours!
By the way, if you’re local to me I know of several families and charities that would love gently used toys and household items.
Giving Challenge Prize?
If there’s enough participation I’ll throw in an Amazon gift card to a random participant! I love to give money to those who participate in challenges but I’d like to see a lot of people participating before I throw out a large gift card. I’ve been known to give every participant a $5 gift card before. You just never know! 🙂 Think of it as a bonus to the good feeling you’ll get blessing others!
How do I know who participated? Here’s how!
Giving Challenge Rules:
- – You must submit your daily entry by posting photos of your items to be given (or write what you said, paid for, etc) on the wall of our Facebook group under the daily photo I post. Today’s post will say Giving Challenge #8 (because it’s November 8th, even though it’s the first day of the challenge), tomorrow’s will say Giving Challenge #9, and so on and so forth.
- – If you don’t have Facebook you can also email me the pictures at MrsAshleyWalkup@gmail.com with the subject 30 Days of Giving Challenge #8.
- – If you know you’re going to have a busy week you can work ahead in the challenge up to five days ahead of time (this is a change from the previous challenge, you can now work further ahead!) and you can be two days late and still be eligible for the prize.
- – We’re going to start the challenge today, Thursday, Nov. 8th. Because we’re starting late you don’t have to give away 30 things, just 1 per day till the end of the challenge. If you want to do more, by all means please do.
- – This is a question I would ask if I was participating so I’ll ask and answer it in case you’re wondering to. Do you actually have to donate the item to, say Goodwill, or can you just set it aside in a box in your garage until the end of the month? The garage is fine! There’s no need to make a trip daily to take one item some place.
- – What if you have so much extra stuff and you want to go above and beyond? By all means do!
- – Share this with a friend! It’s easier to stick with it if you have a friend or family member who are joining in too.
- – Last but not least, have fun!!!
In the words of my wise friend Dawn, “This challenge is about being grateful for what you have and blessing others who are less fortunate!” I couldn’t agree more!
I’m excited to have you join me. Feel free to start snapping pics, donating, and posting your pics in our group today! Join our group by clicking here!