It’s time for our first declutter challenge of 2017 and it’s going to be a good one. It’s also the time when I have to stretch myself and push myself out of my comfort zone. You see, as a blogger it’s easy for me to share recipes (such as my favorite egg nog milkshake recipe), or kid’s crafts (such as these really cool borax snowflakes), or a list of my favorite kid’s toys (coming soon!), but admitting (to THOUSANDS of people!!) that I have a problem is hard. A BIG problem really. I have a problem with stuff. I love stuff. Shiny stuff, new stuff, stuff that promises in a million ways to make me happy. Ooh, the bondage of stuff. Although this is a problem that hundreds of thousands of people face it’s still difficult to admit. I want to keep purging and purging until we’re living pretty minimal….and I’m a long way from that goal so we’ll press on.
Challenge Overview: This challenge, or game if you like to think of it that way, will last for the full month of January and one participant will walk away with $100 cash!! Each day you’ll be given an item(s) to get rid of or something to do. If you don’t have one of those things to get rid of simply choose another item. This detailed list is just to get your mind stirring and help jump start your purging.
Challenge Prize: In case you skipped the overview above, the prize is $100 cash to the challenge winner!!
Challenge Rules: We’re all winners by getting rid of our unwanted belongings but I’ll randomly choose a winner from those who reach the end of the challenge and follow the rules.
How to enter:
- – Each day take a photo of your discarded items.
- – Create an album in our Live With Less Facebook group and every day add your photos to it. If you need help with this ask on the Facebook wall and someone will help you. If you try and can’t succeed with an album you can always make a post on the main wall and each day comment as a reply with the next day’s photo. (If you have a picture or two that you’d rather keep private but keep going in the challenge you may email them to me at MrsAshleyWalkup@gmail.com with the subject Live With Less.)
- – Make sure you number each photo with the day’s # on it so that I can easily check when the month is over.
- – *ADDED TWIST* This game is much more fun with friends so please invite your friends to the group to join the challenge. If the winner has added a person to the group they’ll get an extra $50.
- *SECOND ADDED TWIST* The person who invites the most people who complete the challenge will get $50! For example if Mary invites 10 and only 2 finish she won’t win the money if the 3 people Sarah invited completed the challenge. Does that make sense?
- – If you skip a day are you disqualified? No, but you may only skip two days at a time. Three consecutive skips will disqualify you from winning but you’re welcome to continue playing. Even though you skip a day or two you still have to go back and make up the days you missed.
- – When will this challenge start, I just heard about it? The last day to join will be January 7th when you need to have all your days 1-7 posted…or technically 1-5 since you’re allowed to be two days behind at any point.
- – If I share pictures of my junk in the Live With Less Facebook group will all of my friends see it? No, not unless they are in the group. It’s a closed group.
- – Will you be sharing the items you’re getting rid of? Yes! I’ll be posting in our Live With Less Facebook group daily. Forgive the bad quality pics, this is going to be a quick thing every day.
- – What if more than one person makes it to the 31st? This will be wonderful and I will choose a winner at random.
- – What if no one makes it to the 31st? Then I’m keeping the money for myself and buy something pretty for myself….and then get rid of something to make room for it. 😉
READ READ READ:
Since I’ve posted about living with less a few years ago I’ve received numerous emails telling me what a horrible person I am for throwing away so much. If they only knew the internal struggle I have about letting go of a bent paper clip! Please know that I’m not advocating throwing away everything, do try and recycle, gift, and donate all that you can before trashing things.
Day 1- 1 Sentimental thing
Day 2- 2 Red things
Day 3- 3 Unwanted gifts
Day 4- 4 Magazines/catalogs
Day 5- Old coupons
Day 6- Things you can give to someone
Day 7- Glass items (old mugs, dishes with chips, unloved vases, etc)
Day 8- Stationary items (broken pens, extra anything you won’t use)
Day 9- Unfinished project pieces (finish the project this week or consider throwing it out)
Day 10- Old cotton (old t-shirts, cleaning rags, socks, anything cotton you no longer have a use for)
Day 11- Christmas cards
Day 12- Disposable plates, cups, or cutlery (use them up!)
Day 13- 13 items of clothes or shoes (a pair of shoes counts as 1)
Day 14- Duplicates (anything you have two of that you don’t need, two bottles of red nail polish, tweezers, nail clippers, hammers, etc.)
Day 15- Unused old bottles (any empty jars or bottles that you don’t have a use for)
Day 16- Tech (Movies, CDs, video games, random telephone cords, cords you don’t know what they go to but have had 5+ years, etc.)
Day 17- Let go of 1 thing & write a letter/email to someone you’ve lost touch with (no need to provide a picture of the correspondence)
Day 18- Out grown/unloved items (nearly full old perfume bottles, toys, jewelry, etc.)
Day 19- Use something you’ve been saving (decorative soap, fancy dishes for a special occasion, a bottle of sparkling apple cider, whatever you may have that you’re waiting to use “some day” Let today be that day!)
Day 20- 5 Things you can fit in your hand
Day 21- Organize an area that you dread to organize and toss items as you go (before and after pictures are always fun but the items you’re letting go of is okay too if you forget to snap a before pic)
Day 22- Write a list of 22 things that you’re thankful for that money can’t buy
Day 23- Let go of 2 things and make a recipe from an unused cook book (if you can’t bring yourself to do it, let go of the cookbook too)
Day 24- Mend, fix, or glue 3 broken items or toss them (maybe you don’t keep broken things but we always have a few broken things at our house)
Day 25- 5 things from 5 different rooms
Day 26- Move/toss/do 6 things that make you feel guilty (maybe it’s a book that sits on your nightstand and has been laying there unread for months making you feel guilty when you look at it, maybe it’s the dirty windows that irritate you, etc.)
Day 27- Do something you’ve been procrastinating (returning unloved purchases and going through old moving boxes are at the top of my list)
Day 28- Take your donations to a charity 🙂
Day 29- Repurpose/display a sentimental item you’ve decided to keep
Day 30- Find a “home” for lost items that are around your house….as many as you have time for
Day 31- Let go of 12 pieces of paper
If you have any questions or if I missed something please let me know.
Who’s ready to play? I hope you’ll join me!
Oh, I almost forgot to say something – Happy New Year!!!
Here are two other helpful posts you may like: